Wednesday 30 July 2008

Beirut inspires a musical rambling.

Beirut is a band I enjoy. I am listening to them now. I enjoy them so much I find it hard to believe it. In the past six months I think I have listened to at least two tracks a day by them. I put them on in the morning. I listen to them at work. Each different song of theirs takes me to a different place.
I can't remember who said it or where I heard it; thinking about it probably on some film making of I think, but the quote was:
"Music is just the emotional fuel to get to where you want to be."
.............or something along those lines.........................
(Can you put something in quotation marks if your not sure of the quote?........I'm not so sure........fuck it I said I couldn't write, so leave me alone cunt.)
Beirut is funny in its emotional destination though. I listen to it and get confused as to what state I am ending up in. Because of this it has a property I don't find in too much music, which is that, for me personally, its the swiss army knife of emotional music. Its the every occasion Greg music.
Sometimes it makes me want to cry...but usually because it makes me so happy I want to. But then other times not.
As I write I have 'Elephant Gun' playing in my ears, which to me is the grand daddy of their music.
Or maybe 'Nantes.'
Or maybe 'After the Curtain'
Or maybe 'Scenic World.' (the version of the Lon Gisland Ep)
I don't know.
Most other music seems to have some sort of desired effect on me. Like that Eluvium album - Copia,
which I have been listening to a bit of lately, which seems to just make me a droopy, miserable, boob.
Uplifting and beautiful my arse. Maybe some of its beautiful I guess. I like it anyway. The cover art is good, but then again its also really bad. Have a look/read of it and you'll see what I mean.
Techno; well I like listening to that because I seem to just look to the future. I feel slightly stripped of more meaningful emotion, and more just the emotion of hype and excitement comes out, along with the insessent ramblings in my brain of production values and over intellectualizing the concepts of techno of a by-gone era. I'm not saying techno still can't be innovative as I truly believe it still can be, but there is so much shit out there now it can become hard to see it. Maybe its just hard because, like hippies, I also hate the fucking idiot munter fuckwits with their glasses on in the clubs, who yell out shit like 'I'm so minimal' (I'm not kidding. I heard that once) whilst tilting there heads back in the air with there mouths wide open and their hands in the air, in a way only a person who is really high on drugs at 6am can do. When I see stuff like this I often wish I had some kind of touch of god like power where I could instantly zap them, in the pose they are in, covered in sweat to a really inappropriate place. Some kind of funeral would be good I imagine or the accountancy office/call centre they no doubt work in on a monday morning in front of their boss. (did I tell you I saw some of those earthy hippie cunts leaving the Glade in a BMW?)
Techno/minimal/house is getting over run with these fucktards the world over. As I have said before, give me a basement with speakers and some kind of Redshape/Galluzi/Villalobos/Dettman/list goes on, and a no teetering* on heels in shiny dress, or being a general fuckwit, door policy.
So I guess Techno makes me angry then.
Bo Hansen makes me squint my eyes and happily look off into a distant past.
Erik Satie makes me sleepy.
Kraftwerk makes me laugh out loud.
But Beirut? I'm really not sure. It should have plenty of time and place based emotional strings attached to it for me, but yet when I listen these aren't necessarily the places that it makes me go. This is handy, because it quite easily could have been ruined for me altogether. But it hasn't.
Happy, Sad, Hyped. It does it all for me. This makes them a great band for Greg.
I am now looking for another set of music which will be this big for me, techno aside because I listen to that everyday too, and don't say A Hawk and Hacksaw cause I didn't mean same style of music, and besides, I tried them and I'm not their biggest fan.
I went thru a pretty big Matthew Dear - Asa Breed faze recently too. Although I think this will have a definative emotional pull for me. (ps went and checked out a gig of his at the ICA in London, and it was great. He really seems to have taken to the whole stage/singing malarkey after all those years of being behind decks and controllers.)
Anyway.
Beirut is good.
They played one of the best gigs I have been to.
I wish they'd get back together.



*sorry Spagnoletti.








No comments: