Thursday 30 April 2009

Rotoscoping

For those that don't know, and lets face it that's probably a lot of you because I have the weirdo picture job, rotoscoping is when you painfully trace around the edge of something/someone so that the background can be replaced with something else. You see, if people don't shoot stuff on a green/blue screen, and you want to replace the background you have to roto the stuff. Its like drawing a mask in photoshop, except the pictures are moving. This makes it about two hundred million times harder.
And it fucking sucks giant donkey cock.
You see, roto is usually something given to juniors when they are working their way up the food chain because why the fuck would a senior want to do it. Its shit.
The lone rose in the devils bum guts that is roto, is that at the end it can be quite satisfying looking at how well you have cut shit out. But its a minor victory. You see if you are roto'ing something, that usually means you're not comping it. So you cut out all of your shit (in my case at the moment, full football team, roving camera, full HD plates, motion blurred to buggery = cunting nightmare) and then you don't get to put all the elements together. Some other smug cunt does. And because this is for a commercial that smug cunt is gonna be all like "Yeah I worked so hard on this" to the clients, even though he probably did fuck nothing. Oh wait. He might add a lens flare and some grain.
Now I have roto'd for anyone in about 4 years I think, but due to this fucking, shitting, ball ache of a recession, I have to do it for a couple of weeks till a bigger job comes along.
I don't know how I ever did this shit.
Sure there are worse jobs, like being a sewer cleaner. But you know this is my story, not a sewer cleaners.
I mean if a sewer cleaner was doing this roto marlarky, he'd be writing in his blog "Fucking hell man this shit is so sweet. I get to sit at a desk and I'm not all covered in human turds and flushed used condoms and tampons etc. Its like I'm a king"
But I don't think sewer cleaners have blogs.
Maybe Swine flu will kill off some of the overabundance of compositors in London and there'll be a shit load more work to go round.
I'm not doing anymore roto after this.
See how I mentioned the recession and swine flu?
Ranty and topical.


No comments: