Thursday 22 January 2009

Panda Bear

So I have been listening to the Panda Bear album Person Pitch, and enjoying it a lot. I am having a musical join the dots. I knew that Panda Bear was part of Animal Collective, but stylistically there is a lot more repetition and filtered out echos and delays. Obviously being one guy its all made from samples and loops. It sounds acoustic and natural, but quite clearly isn't. I'd say I have been enjoying it even more than Merriweather Post Pavillion. I have been wondering why all morning.
Anyway I just noticed that the top four artists listed (I guess as influences) in the inside cover are Basic Channel, Luomo, Dettinger, and Wolfgang Voigt.
Basic Channel was one of the first of the European minimal techno record labels and when it began consisted of Moritz von Oswald (see post below about the classical record label business) and Mark Ernestus.
Luomo is Sasu Ripatti, also known as Vladislav Delay. Luomo is his slightly more pop orientated house/techno/experimental project.
Dettinger, who releases on Kompakt and Wolfgang Voight who started Kompakt with Michael Mayer.
The whole album sounds to me like something Villalobos would make if he was born in California and surfed. I recommend it.

No comments: