Tuesday 13 January 2009

Animal Collective @ Koko



I took Lyndall to this for her birthday. It was at Koko, which I think was pretty perfect for it as it has those sweet high balconies that you can look right down onto the crowd/stage from, but it still has some big ass speakers up there so you can hear everything nicely. (I have photos I'll add to this soon)
My good friend Brett loves these guys all to death. I have had a love/hate relationship with them I guess. I find I have to be in the perfect mood to listen to them. When I am its good, if I'm not I won't give them another chance for a month.
I think this gig has changed that. It was awesome.
Something about all those mechanical instruments large synthetic thunder rolling basslines and the tack-tack-tack-tack of the drum stick on the drum and the foot pedals and the volume, and the melancholy and the happiness.
I think perhaps I have been treating them more as a background band instead off a turn the volume up to eleven kind of deal and that was my mistake.
So Brett, I hope it makes you happy that I think I have found my latest musical love affair.
Well them and Tape, who I can't stop listening to at the moment either.

3 comments:

brett said...

Yusss! Glad you enjoyed them. Looking forward to hanging with your damned ass soon. Tape is sounding pretty sweet too.

Unknown said...

i saw tape perform live in beijing a couple of months ago, lovely ancient future geometries. but i think a beckoning animal collective balcony of pulsing energy zaps would land me head first into a spastic euphoria more. greg are you heading back home for a summer dip? dudes, i wish i could find a way to triple up on the double up.

Greg said...

Yep sure am. I leave here on the 21st of feb and am in NZ for 3 weeks. I think I'll be in Wellington from the 1st of March or a couple of days earlier. Can you find a way? That would be much massive amounts of sweetness and would probably call for a road trip. I have no fixed plans within the nz yet. Make it so Jerry. Make it so. Collective was awesome. It was very emotional music that I went into some kind of dream state whilst watching. Just got tickets to Beirut in May which I am pretty excited about too.