Wednesday 3 September 2008

Bo Hansson and Accidental Dark Knight Hatrid

So I was watching Peter Jacksons Lord of the Rings the other day, and I have to say I don't think its a bad effort considering the length and breadth of the source material. In my humble opinion it takes a large poop on The Dark knight.......Oh and speaking of which this was one of the 'Featured' reviews of The Dark Knight explaining how good it was on IMDB:


Batman has always been my favourite superhero ever since the first time I heard about him because he his human with no powers, also he is much more questionable than any other superhero. The story of the film is about Batman, Lieutenant James Gordon, and new district attorney Harvey Dent beginning to succeed in rounding up the criminals that plague Gotham City. They are unexpectedly challenged when a mysterious criminal mastermind known as the Joker appears in Gotham. Batman's struggle against the Joker becomes deeply personal, forcing him to "confront everything he believes" and to improve his technology (which introduces the recreation of the Batcycle, known as the Batpod and the Batsuit was redesigned) to stop the madman's campaign of destruction. During the course of the film, a love triangle develops between Bruce Wayne, Dent and Rachel Dawes.

There are now six Batman films and I must say that The Dark Knight is the best out of all of them. The title is good because that is what Batman actually is. It has been 3 years for the adventure to continue from Batman Begins but that entire wait was worth it. Gotham city is very Gothic looking and is very haunting and visionary. The whole movie is charged with pulse-pounding suspense, ingenious special effects and riveting performances from a first-rate cast especially from Heath Ledger who gave an Oscar nomination performance for best supporting-actor. It is a shame that he can't see his terrific work on-screen. The cinematography is excellent which is made so dark & sinister that really did suit the mood for the film. Usually sequels don't turn out to be better than the original but The Dark Knight is one of those rare sequels that surpasses the original like The Godfather 2. I also really liked the poster where the building is on fire in a Bat symbol & Batman is standing in front of it. Christopher Nolan is a brilliant director and his film Memento is one of my most favourite films. He hasn't made 10 movies yet and 3 of them are already on the IMDb top 250. Overall The Dark Knight is the kind of movie that will make the audience cheer in the end instead of throwing fruit & vegetables on the screen.)

I mean really. Whoever wrote that must have been really very bung in the head.

"The title is good cause that is what Batman is"

"Gotham city is very Gothic looking and is very haunting and visionary"

This person is clearly a waste of oxygen and needs to be farmed.
I have no understanding of why it became the front page review on IMDB either. Maybe its just automated. Either way with people of that intellectual caliber telling me its good I can see I'll be talked around soon.

Even smart people have been suckered in to saying its good even though they are filling it so full of holes in their reviews and basically saying its not a great movie yet its still getting all this award talk. There were so many better movies out this year and this getting put on a pedestal really annoys me.



Anyway.....I got a little side tracked then on the Batman hate. Sorry. I have to stop this.

So we were watching LOTR and it made me think about Bo Hansson
If you read the Wikipedia entry you'll see he made music inspired by Lord of the Rings was his first solo album. I used to listen to this a lot with my friends when I was younger and I realized I hadn't listened to it in ages. It reminds me of so many good times and so many fun times. Emotional time and place attachment is big on these tracks. I looked it up on Youtube and hey presto someone had put the album up. So for convenience I have posted the videos into this post with titles.
I really think Peter Jacksons movies could have done with some of this music......and way less slow motion.....and no Elijah Wood.........or Sean Astin.
Enjoy.


Fog on the Barrow Downs



The Old Forest



The Black Riders



The Horns of Rohan



The Gray Havens



Dreams in the House of Healing



Shadowfax



Lothlorien



Homeward bound and the Shire

2 comments:

Baba Taro said...

Having insufficient interest in Batman to have seen the movie, I can't address that. But really, you don't like Elijah Wood? OR Sean Astin? It's fascinating what people like and don't like.

Greg said...

I could stand Sean Astin if Elijah Wood wasn't in it. I think Elijah Wood pretty much ruins any scene he is in where he is Laughing heartily or Looking at Sam/Gandalf/Aragorn like he is going to bone them in slow motion.
However, I understand what Jackson was thinking casting him because he is good in the more emotional parts involving just him alone, where you can use his facial expressions and nothing else to describe his inner fight with the ring.
Unfortunately there is a lot more of Elijah Wood doing the previous than the later.
I just don't like the two of them together. That combined with plenty of slow motion and step printing of the two of them together annoy me.
Having said that, its not enough to ruin the films for me as it really is a series of films based around all the characters and doesn't centre too heavily just on Frodo and Sam until the end. Its also a pretty amazing achievement considering the length of the books and the amount of ideas I thought just wouldn't translate to film when I was reading it. I also worked on them as well so maybe I have personnal attachment again.