Tuesday 26 August 2008

The Dark Knight.

Is a bad movie. I got so bored I wanted to sleep. I was gonna write a foot stomp to the throat review of it, but I'm not sure the damage to the ends of my fingers from aggressive typing would be worth the effort. I didn't hate it as much as Titanic, but I still lost a little faith in humanity over the fact everybody seems to love it so much. Maybe I am missing something. I think the movie just should have been Heath Ledger sitting a room doing his bit for the 25-30mins total he was in it. I didn't even think he was that great though.
I nearly left the cinema and I never do that.
My girlfriend got angry at me because of my grunts of despair.
I've written off a little check list that Christopher Nolan must have adhered to strictly when making this movie.

Character development: Nil
Bad/Lazy editing: 100 percent
Stupid plot that tries to be all realistic crime thriller sometimes, but when it suits it, comic book silly: Oh you better believe it
Too many plot threads causing you to not really get anyones motivation for anything, except for the most minimal idea of what they could possibly be thinking: Sure
Too many plot threads causing the film to be far too long and boring: Oh yeah
Completely wooden and really boring acting from Christian Bale and Maggie Gyllenhaal: Yep
Michael Cane and Morgan Freeman acting exactly the same way they act in every single movie they have ever been in: uh huh, uh huh.
Character who gets disfigured and becomes evil with little explanation as to why considering he was a pretty rational guy beforehand: Yes oh yes.

I thought Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman were pretty good, but Oldman didn't have enough screen time and Eckhart sucked after his turn into two face which was more of a problem with the terrible script than his acting. Funnily enough I think I liked Eckhart because he is a slightly over the top looking comic book character-esque guy and his part as the morally in-corruptible white knight of Gotham was really over the top............well morally in-corruptible until he gets very easily corrupted later on. This is among some of the ridiculous contradictions in the script.
For instance why does the joker, who in the middle of the film is shown burning his half of a large amount of money because he in no way is motivated by money, go to such lengths to get more of his share of the money in the opening scene? Why kill off all those henchmen who would be much more useful to him alive to help pull off his (frankly) impossible to pull off plans for their money?
Then there is the jokers stupidly easy escape from jail when the police forget to put the most dangerous criminal in Gothams handcuffs back on and leave him with the door unlocked and one unarmed guard.
Now I can hear people saying 'Suspension of disbelief', and usually I would agree with that. Except. Nolan and everybody who has seen this and loved it goes to great lengths to tell you how realistic it is, and that Nolan wanted to make a serious crime thriller like Heat. Well its not realistic. It doesn't even tread a fine line between being serious and silly. Its just an overlong and pretenious comic book film, which takes all the fun out of comic book films.
My advice, hire Heat and Tim Burtons original Batman and watch them at home. They are both much better movies and probably collectively shorter too.
I guess I ended up writing a foot stomp to the throat review then.

No comments: