Monday 11 May 2009

Beirut @ the Forum.


So on Friday I went to see Beirut again. Myself, Lyndall and Papa Carter got there just as the supporting band were finishing, which I was quite pleased about cause I thought they sounded a bit arse.
To say I was excited would be a hella understatement. The forum was really rammed, as I guess the popularity of Beirut has sky rocketed since I saw them for the first time over 2 years ago.
I kind of wondered how things might have changed, seeing as back then it was all quite fresh and prior to Zacks, lets break up the band, I can't handle the pressure freak out.
They eventually emerged on stage to a massive roar from the crowd. The band looked really different. Gone was the crowded stage of at least 20 musicians of various shapes and sizes gathered from around the world. In their place, 5 people, who looked like 'A+' music school students who Zach had picked up at the local university.
So they began. Starting off with 'Nantes' which was awesome..............But.
But. But. But. Stupid But. Stupid annoying But.
The Music school guys seemed to lack the energy of the original band and maybe seemed to play more by the numbers instead of looking passionate about anything. And the sound was all over the place. The kick drum was drowning out everything, except Zacks voice. (luckily) Also Zack, looked depressed and unsure of himself. His voice however was still strong. As Lyndall pointed out though, he looked sad, and it seemed like there is something so tragic about him. Like he is going to die young somehow. Which if I am honest is quite an attractive quality in one of your favourite musicians.
However. The crowd absolutely loved it. Every song was greeted with the kind of cheers you expect at the end of a concert. And it was an amazing atmosphere to be in. Everyone was singing along. People had their hands in the air....and thankfully, the sound got better. And even more thankfully Zack got better as did the band.
It was about halfway thru and he made a slight hick up on the uke. He looked super pissed at himself, but as soon as he realized that even though everyone saw it they were all still cheering louder and louder with each song, he seemed to relax and really get into it.
People cheered so loudly in fact that they did two encores.
From that point this became, for me, the best gig I have ever been to. The whole stage loosened up and it was awesome.
Highlights for me? Zach playing 'The penalty' by himself with just the uke was probably equal highest with, 'Scenic World' and 'Sunday Smile'.
They played one of the his Real People songs as well, and it sounded heaps better being a live band and not his badly produced electronic shit.
I know I can appear cynacal sometimes,(ha) but I sure as hell wasn't this night. I didn't drink anything. I danced. I sang along. And I may have even wept a little. I guess my earlier post about Beirut being my everytime/every situation music and not having any strings attached was a lie. They got me through a really hard time last year and it was hard not to get emotional about seeing it live.
I'm a big fucking girl.
Heres a video of Sunday Smile from the night. People singing along. Sweet.

And

And

And

No comments: