Thursday 11 December 2008

Geddes, Damien Lazarus and Michael Mayer @ T-bar

This was on a monday night. Its all part of T-bars final 12 days before closing down....which is a shame, because I really like it there. Its refreshing to have a place with great line-ups that starts a little earlier and closes at 3am. T was also the venue for many an after party on Sundays.
Anyway, the Monday we went down was the last of the Stink parties, which were run by Mayer and Lazarus for just over a year every Monday for a while. Seeing as I had actually never made it down to any of them despite living quite close by at one stage, I thought I could at least make it down to the last one. Something about Monday night parties had always put me off. As it turned out it wasn't so bad at all.
So me and three of my mates meet up in Soho and downed a few pints before heading down. When we arrived, no massive line outside and Geddes playing the warm up on the inside. We sat down and got doen to the business of drinking and I looked around and felt bad that Tea is closing. Its quite a large space, spread across one floor and one room. The sound is a bit lacking but ok if your on the centre of the dance floor bit, but never really quite bass heavy enough. It is really nice having lots of tables speckled around the place though and if you have five or six of you sitting around a table it can feel a bit like having friends over for a letsgetpissedandlistentomusicroundthetablewhiledrinking evening which is fun. (Except with Mayer and Lazarus playing instead of my drunking fumblings on the decks)
Damien Lazaruz came on, and true to form played a wicked mix of deep house, techno, grindy stuff and plain weird electronica. I have never actually seen him before but have heard him say he is not afraid to clear a dance floor and I can believe that now. He got pretty weird in some bits, but I don't mean bad weird I mean awesome weird. It was a lot of fun, and he got me up dancing and bopping around like an idiot which was refreshing and a bit of a catharsis for me because I don't feel I have had fun dancing for ages due to all the cunts about. Speaking of which, the crowd at tea was really good. Not overtly young, and just into the music. No handsey bastards for the girls, and no idiots wearing glasses.
Michael Mayer then came on. Which was a shame. He just sort of lost the vibe and plodded out this increasingly boring house music. It really didn't have any sort of kick or swing or bop or whatever the fuck it is that makes you wanna dance....although the girls that were there seemed to be loving it so maybe he was just trying to score chicks or something. We went home after that. Still, that was a good thing being a school night.


No comments: