Wednesday 10 June 2009

A Taste of Sonar

A Taste of Sonar was at the roundhouse here in London.
As you may have guessed it was supposed to be a little bit like being at the Sonar music festival in Spain.
It was just like it; except, its a lot less hot in London, Camden is pretty much a shit hole compared to Barcelona and the drinks were cheaper at Sonar last time I went but measures were huge. Aside from that, it sorta, kinda, maybe felt like it.
Jeff Mills was doing one of his crazy DVD-J sets with visuals from vintage Sci Fi movies. It was really good I thought, not least because he lowered the tempo somewhat to his normal full frontal assault techno vibe.
He also had this nifty trick of being able to trigger these two holes on the screen exactly where some of the actors eyes were and then strobe lights spewed out of them. It was a bit freaky looking and the crowd pretty much went nuts for it.
After this I went downstairs and checked out this dude called Internet 2.
This guy was funny as something really, really funny. Like cat aids. Or comedy racism. Or that joke about the holocaust and apples Simon told me once.
Except maybe even funnier because he just kept going for like 30 mins and my face hurt from laughing.
He basically had all these synth pads layed out on the floor that were hooked up to a computer via midi, and he could change what sounds any of these pads made depending on the song (I use the word song here in the broadest possible way. More like noise....but funny noise)
He'd kind of run backwards and forwards making what can be described as the Amelie soundtrack played by a thrash metal band on computers. So cute but noisy then.
The highlight for me was when he asked if anyone in the crowd were djs and for one to come up because he was going to perform a song called dj love.
So this guy got up and internet 2 pulled a random girl out of the audience, put a pad between them and made them hump, thus triggering the synth and making me laugh. He had a lot of audience participation. It was funny.
It makes you notice how shitty dance music crowds are though with their tolerance for anything outside the box, as heaps of the boring fucktards were yelling "play some music" and other such wit filled abuse.
Got fuck yourself in the eye with garden shears you cunts.
Next up was Mary Anne Hobbs. This had to be one of the funniest things I saw.
She was supposed to be playing a Dub Step set. She came out, all blonde hair and sparkles, looking for all the world like a trance-listening extra out of a shit movie made in England about how fun clubbing is. All the fuckwit cuntfaces who hated on Internet 2 seemed happy and I heard several "I'd do her" comments.
Classy.
Anyway she came out jumping around like a total fuckwad, waving her hands in the air and acting like Teisto while her first track began building up....and then the rig stopped, making the room silent and making her look the cuntface twat she quite clearly is. I don't give a shit what she has done for music. There is no need to act like a cunt. No need.
Anyway, I'd like to say I watched heaps of other acts after that but I didn't. I smoked and talked to my friends.

No comments: